I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Kerascoët: Jolies Ténèbres


Dust jacket for the book. Links to a Youtube simple ad for it.

Compelling and terrifying. Not for the faint of heart or for kids. "Don't be fooled by the cuteness," Sebastien warns me over dinner when we were in Paris for our show. I wondered about that for while until I got back to my hotel. I leafed through it. I can't read french, mind you, but the images are enough to get a sense of what's going on. This book found the edge where it becomes dangerous and runs past it full speed. I am humbled by what Kerascoet--Marie Pommepuy and Sébastien Cosset--along with writer Fabien Vehlmann have unleashed on an unsuspecting public.


Myself and Sébastien Cosset at the Arludik show for Three Trees in Paris. He hands me his only advance copy of this book the publishers sent him. That was such an honor.

I cannot talk about this book more. I came back to work talking as if I'd gone to a haunted island. I had to see the faces of each one who was intrigued enough to peel pages back one at a time. The look of sheer admiration for the artistry but soon after a wincing at the unexpected. I am having a good time--I must have looked just like that.



We met with Dupuis, the publisher of Jolies Ténèbres, and got to talk to Sergio Honorez (Head of Publishing) about this book which is just about to come out this month. He says that once he saw the book proposal he just knew, "We have to publish this." Kerascoet is also published at Dargaud for Mis Pas Touche, a book I've mention in this blog before. In France artists can have as many different publishers for any one artist. Neat, eh?



If you look at the work it is astoundingly beautiful. I put in a reservation to grab this page at Galerie 9 art. And if you're not careful you'll find even more stuff all over that website.



I love finding stuff to rave about and even more gratifying is to meet these wonderful creators (Marie was not well during our visit but next time). That trip to Paris and Angoulême was so amazing. I'm hoping it won't be too long before we find ourselves back there again. If only to grab more books. Sigh.


Kerascoet
Dupuis
Galerie9art.com for Kerascoet





Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it was thanks to your previous post on Kerascoët that I picked up Miss Pas Touche (in English) a while ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also enjoy meeting artists, as it was meeting you again in person at Wondercon. Nice to see you again, and nice little book of sketches you have there. I'm glad I picked it up there - the quick sketch on the first page is always a nice bonus.

Régis

6:39 PM

 
Blogger Meesimo said...

Stunning work! Just recently discovered his Miss Don't Touch Me and am smitten. Thanks for sharin the wealth:)
Looking forward to your new tome from Adhouse which I'm sure will be right up there with Kerascoet.
Cheers
Meesimo

10:11 PM

 
Blogger Kei Acedera said...

Wow his stuff is so cool! I'm so intrigued about the story!gotta have it~

8:10 PM

 
Blogger S. Stephani Soejono said...

Ronnie--do you and/or Bill know that there's a third bande dessinee for Miss Pas Touche? I just finished reading the first two books and I thought "Wow it finally ended." until I discovered there was the third tome, under the subtitle Prince Charmant.

Anyway if you/Bill know about this ignore this message. I was just a little surprised considering how "final" the ending at the second book was.

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Cereal Killer said...

wow, that girl over the grass look great!!!!

1:42 PM

 
Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Puh-Ray-Zuh God!! Finally an auspicious angst which I can divulge our deepest desires. Because I was an actual NDE, lemme share with you what I actually know Seventh-Heaven's gonna be like: meet this ex-mortal Upstairs for the most-extra-groovy, pleasure-beyond-measure, Ultra-Yummy-Reality-Addiction in the Great Beyond for a BIG-ol, kick-ass, party-hardy you DO NOT wanna miss. YES! For God, anything and everything and more! is possible!! RSVP? Cya soon, miss GorgeousBabe. God bless you.

2:26 PM

 
Anonymous Contoh Wallpaper Dinding Ruang Tamu said...

Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I’m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.

8:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home