I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sketchtravel: Page colored and done


Above image is cropped but it links to a larger view. See? It takes a while for me not to be all shy about showing bigger images but I come around.

PENCILS DOWN! Well, you have to stop, push away from the drawing board and say, "That's it! Anything I can do to this from here on will have to be conjecture."

As always I am liking the work more and more the longer I stay away from it. Dice Tsutsumi and Daniel Lopez Muñoz saw it first as I was scanning it for my files (it goes away, see. I'll not see it for a long while). They were very nice and made me feel real good about the work. Artists, we're forever chastising ourselves for not being better and better every time out of the gate. Or is that just me? Shrinks are expensive, fortune cookies are free.

Anyway, my thanks to all involved and the book is now about to be handed to the next person in line. Dice will arrange the photo shoot of that hand-off. Onward!

Sketchtravel
Sketchtravel Blog




Labels: , , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful and clever! Thanks also for posting the humble step by step - what a treat!

12:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woooowwww, Ronnie. That is gorgeous. How fun to watch the process of your work. Once or twice today I thought of you doing the pastel, and wondering how it would come out. I love Nina's shadow-- and didn't realize that's what it was in the roughs. It's really beautiful!
Nancy

5:07 PM

 
Blogger monkeyfeather said...

Really nice job Ronnie.

So, with the pastel, are you mainly using it to soften your washes out? Do you lightly lay the stick over the drawing and then blend or, do you do a light dusting and then blend with a cotton ball or some other sort of device, like a local rabid chipmunk's tail, or perhaps a wild rabbit?

In the past, I've scraped off a little pastel dust with an x-acto blade, then lightly smudge it around with a cotton ball. Works pretty nicely for unifying and softening colour.

Either way, you did a gorgeous job. What a book.

8:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

It is an elegant piece. But, most importantly, it tells a story. I guess that your background in editorial/illustration/ad is calling back to you. Like the other people, it was a special treat that you broke down the process in this one.

cK

PS. Please give my regards to Dice.

8:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,
Thanks for another beautiful BIG picture. I hope you continue the trend:) I can't wait to buy the book when it comes out.

5:26 AM

 
Blogger Benjamin Hall said...

WOW! That came out REALLY nice!

I didn't even notice the shadow in the pre-lims, but that really makes it!

Beautiful!

8:40 AM

 
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

Beautiful work, Ronnie. Looking forward to seeing the book mwhen it is completed.

10:24 AM

 
Blogger Ted M said...

Great piece Ronnie! Thank you for posting the process too.

10:26 AM

 
Blogger the doodlers said...

Oh wow how lovely. She wants to travel on, but she still wants to linger...:) I also love the telling of how you put it together! Cheers Ronnie! ~Arna

11:24 AM

 
Blogger Ron Salas said...

That's absolutely wonderful. I love the colours and textures.
Also, I have to commend you on your work on Ratatouille. What an excellent, excellent movie.

9:56 PM

 
Blogger Gerald Guerlais said...

Hi Ronnie ! You rock ! What you drew is absolutely gorgeous and made perfectly in time, congrats ! And telling us the whole process is very interesting, thank you so much. I have posted your drawing on the Sketchtravel official blog and your masterpiece will be also in the virtual showbook until we publish it at last. That's a great honor you brought your talent in that worldwide collective experience !

1:54 AM

 
Blogger C.Deboda said...

Very cool piece, Ronnie. Also enjoyed seeing the process from the previous post as well. And following the progress of the sketchtravel book is pretty exciting too...can't wait to see what's next!

11:57 AM

 
Blogger Paul Tuller said...

wow Ronnie this is BEAUTIFUL!! An excellent addition to an interesting (from what I've heard) book. Your illo has a nice classic look to it

2:46 PM

 
Blogger whackergirl said...

Very lovely and imaginative too.

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This is beautiful!! Great story concept!

11:09 PM

 
Blogger Emmanuelle.Walker said...

I love the treatment... the tones you've used... the Idea is great and very well executed as well : -)

10:10 PM

 
Blogger CMG said...

Wow! I stumbled across your page looking up thanksgiving images. I love your art and illustrations!!! I definitely plan on making some time to look through your archives. Just wanted to say hi and tell you I appreciated your art and images.

9:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home